Tuesday 19 July 2011

Getting a French bank account

Another topic that uni don’t seem to want to go into in any detail whatsoever, so here’s what I found. Banks don’t like people. Let me elaborate, unless you have a bill to the address you are staying at in France you will probably be turned down. 

Generally to open a bank account, take as many documents as you possibly can. I took:

-           the contract for my house
-          my house insurance (which had the address on)
-          my job contract
-          bank statements from the UK (to prove I have some money)
-          passport

Although Crédit Agricole wouldn’t accept all that as proof of residence and insisted on a gas or electricity bill (facture de gaz ou d’electricité).



The Post Office is the place to go. Yep, they have a terrible reputation and might not see you on the day, but they accept more or less anyone – me included. And the guy who served me was pretty helpful :-)

It took about 8 days for me to receive banking details, online log-ons, my cheque book (which has funky different coloured cheques) and a little longer to receive my card.

No comments:

Post a Comment