Tuesday 2 August 2011

One month in...

So I’ve been in Paris for a month now! It’s flown by! Had lots of ‘firsts’ – starting with the first day at work, then my first night alone in the studio, first trip to the market, first lesson, first feeling homesick, first time eating peas that come from a tin (quite a strange concept), first French bank card, first French payslip and I could probably go on. What I mean, is that there are lots of new experiences all the time, and I’m enjoying most of them.


Work is going well, I’ve had three lessons now and August seems like it’s going to be an easy-going month as everyone appears to be on holiday! Food at work is good and I can eat 2 courses for about €2! There is loads of choice, especially if you eat meat (which I don’t, yet...). I think going to work takes away the boredom of living alone and getting paid is always nice of course!


I’ve been filling the weekends with cultural activities – tour of the Opera Garnier in French, Cimetiere de Pere Lachaise, Place des Vosges and Paris Plage, followed by lying in the sun in a park on Sunday. My plan is to do lots of different things that tourists wouldn’t necessarily do, and so far it’s working nicely at keeping me occupied. Ooo how could I forget the wander around Monmartre and seeing a rather cool (linguistically) wall – it has ‘I love you’ written in loads of languages :-)



Skype is amazing. It’s my connection to everyone back home and I can’t imagine having to stay in touch without it (although I have been sending postcards J  ). Chatting to nan and Nick more or less everyday is something nice to look forward to in the evenings and mum will learn eventually... Maybe by the time I’m in Spain at this rate!! (Get a move on mum!!) There have been a few nights where all I’ve done is call people in England and have a chat (which might not be the best thing to improve my language, but it’s a good end to the day)! Of course everyone must get slightly homesick, we are all human, and everyone will miss people and different things from home, be it cheddar, squash or proper frozen peas!


This morning I went to my first market, at 7.45am ish before work. The sky was a pretty powdery blue and it was nice and quiet and I walked to the market listening to Schandefreude (from Avenue Q) and songs from Hairspray, so there was a spring in my step. Surprisingly people were still setting up, so I found a stall that was more or less finished setting up, the guy was very helpful and it’s good French food practice! Came back with a bag full of fresh veg for a little over €3 and a quietly smug smile at realising that I do know some useful French, even if the grammar might be a bit dodgey now and then.


So that’s more or less my month in an A4 page! 

No comments:

Post a Comment