Tuesday 16 August 2011

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to work I go...

So the routine of work has set in – getting up, taking the metro then the tram, getting something to drink at work and then starting for the day. Still, lessons won’t start properly until September, so a couple of days have felt pretty dragged out preparing lessons hour in hour out. Though me and Kate were given an ‘extra’ task to sort out the library (well, the few shelves of books that are kept locked away) so we got to get out of the open space and I think by now we are both experts on referencing! We finished it really quickly, so I wonder what fun task is next!

Wednesday after work I went to the theatre with Kate and Fred (a guy from work) to see a Moliere play “Le médecin malgré lui”. Which, being Moliere, I would have thought would be really difficult to understand, but seeing some 7-8 year olds reassured me, and the woman behind kept explaining everything to her child, not that I was eavesdropping at all! It was really nice, and the first thing I’ve done with someone French (apart from dancing) since I’ve been here. I hope there’s more to come.


Something I’ve enjoyed doing at work so far are the English/French/Spanish lunches, where we meet up with someone just to have lunch and we spend half of it in English and half of it in French/Spanish, but they can be quite hard work and it doesn’t give you much of a ‘break’ from working me and Kate have decided... So we’re going to try not to have one every lunch!

The girls on reception at work, Laura and Flora, are really nice. Was having one of those “AH I CAN’T SPEAK FRENCH!!!!” days, which I somehow managed to explain and get through in French, and they were both just lovely – meeting people like that makes the year abroad a whole better experience, so thanks girlies!


To finish on a light note – Post-it Wars! It’s a guerre (war) where you make a picture on your window using Post-it notes and the person opposite does the same thing... I took part in this on Friday as it was a quiet day and in Bath’s honour and my own obsession, created a duck! (Before any geeks out there mention it, I know it isn't an 8 bit image or whatever you call it, but I wanted a duck so I did a duck - so there!!) It used quite a few Post-its but they get recycled when you create another image. It’s good fun and a nice break from work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment